Tuesday, December 22, 2009

December 21, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!

Funny story. We're teaching this family, the Dinnoo's. Husband, wife and 2 daughters. They go to a presbyterian churrch. They invited us to attend the church's Christmas program where the girls would be performing. So, we took a member, Sham, with us and saw it. Haha! It was pretty fun actually. They were really excited to see us. When we walked in, you wouldn't believe the stares we got from everybody. They probably couldn't believe 2 missionaries would go to another church. Haha some people I think were offended. We were just there to support that family. It was fun.

One of the best things about Trinidad? WE GET TO EAT AT MEMBERS' HOUSES!!! I'm going to get fat. We have had some good food though. We went and taught this lady, Patsy, who gave us Turkey leg and rice with potato curry. Later in the day, we visited Sham, the 1st counselor in the Branch Presidency, who gave us goat and rice w/dhallpurri. Mmmmmmmm. It was actually very good. Too much food for one day though. I'm used to eating in Guyana which is not eating very much haha. It's been fun though.

We didn't really have much to do this week. We had appointments scattered throughout the week. Now, the people of the West Indies don't know what appointments are. So, we'd show up at the time we set with them and half of them aren't there. The onther half, 90 percent of them, lie and say that they have to go out just now. "Just now" here means soon or in the futures. Like if someone is telling you to do something and you can't right then you say "just now." Haha. I like speaking proper English better though.

Most of the week was tracting, contacting on the street, and teaching the few people we could. We called one of our contacts, Sebastian, who told us to come over right now. He needs somebody. So we go over and when we get there he starts to cry. Says his wife left him, he has no family, and that nobody likes to talk to him. We calmed him down, taught him about the healing power of the atonement of Jesus Christ and he felt a lot better. Invited him to church. He said he can't come because of work but we'll see if we can get him next week.

The Christmas season is fast approaching and it doesn't feel like it AT ALL. Yes, there's Christmas lights up, Christmas music playing from time to time but that isn't any change for us. We can't stop to enjoy the season. It's only work for us. But the work is good and I'm enjoying it. I really am. My companion isn't too much, he doesn't have a good attitude. We blanked the area which means that we don't know any one, where they live, or we don't have anyone to teach. Can be rough. He complained all day Saturday while we walked around and because of that, we didn't have the Spirit and we didn't have a good day. I don't know what to do to help him out. Because of his lack of desire it's hurting me as well. Makes it harder for me to go on and be the hard worker I need to be. But it goes on. If you have any tips let me know. He doesn't listen to me, thinks I don't know anything about missionary work, which is FALSE, and just doesn't respect my opinion. Keep in mind he's only a MONTH ahead of me in the mission. Give me a break!

This Friday we're having a Lunch at the Mission home for Christmas. We're all traveling up to Port of Spain and it'll be a great time. We don't know what we're doing, it's all a big surprise but it sounds like it'll be way fun. Friday morning we're going to an orphanage and putting on a show, dressing the kids up as shepherds and wise men and doing a nativity, giving out presents. It'll be a fun day.

The PHONE CALL!! Alright. We're going to be busy all day until the evening where we're going back to our apartments and doing phone calls home. So, how bout you call about 9 o'clock our time? Which is 6 o'clock in your neck of the woods. I would like to talk to Grandma and Grandpa too. We'll figure something out.

It was weird hearing about the missionaries in our stake from home, Mom. Haha I really have no idea what the work is like there. I don't remember even seeing missionaries except every once in awhile when they'd be at our ward. That's cool about the service missionaries too.

Crazy to read about Bishop Hymas' Christmas message as well. Kind of reminded me that yes, I amd a long ways from home! I almost forgot! Haha. Sounds like he is doing a GREAT job. Tell him I said hello and wish him a Merry Christmas.

Well I really have to get going. It is sad to hear about grandma not feeling well. Tell her that I LOVE HER. I sent her a letter and I hope it reaches soon. I really feel bad for her. I'm glad to hear so many people are giving her the support that she needs.

Elder Morris

PS=I hear the best way to call me is by getting a phone card. Do it the cheapest way possible. I get about an hour to talk. A bit more/less isn't too big of a deal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment