Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 5, 2009

Dad asked the following questions in his letter to Nate and this was his response:

Dad: Do you have a tan? Are you kind of skinny? Who cuts your hair? Is it short like you like it? How much does it cost to get a haircut? Please send me a current picture when you get a minute.

Nate: Haha! So. I will take a picture sometime this week. My tan? It's okay. Probably pretty dang tan compared to people at home but here with the missionaries I'm not too dark. I'm skinnier. I've lost about 3 inches on the waist. Thank goodness for belts but they're at the last holes. I'll have to punch some new ones in. Here there's random barber shops all around so we just barely got one. 400 dollars a piece. (2 US dollars) Pretty cheap. Did an okay job, but nothing compared to Tammy Haddow. Haha.

This week! What a whirlwind! So. We're still dealing with issues in the branch and the hardened people that are here, but are working ETREMELY hard to find those diamonds in the rough. They're out there. We met a guy on the street; he was kind of interested in the Book of Mormon. I opened the book and read him Alma 34:32. First I asked what he thought the purpose of life was. Then we read it. He was interested! He was into it. He asked who wrote that, I said Alma, a prophet of God. He didn't know who that was but he wanted to know more about it so of course we got his address and phone number and will meet with him this week. The work is hard but so worth it. My attitude is what keeps my head up. I love this work!

I'm still district leader I guess. So I get to do baptismal interviews which I think will be rather exciting. I get to use the spirit to let me know whether or not someone is really prepared to enter into the covenant of baptism. What an opportunity!

Conference....OOOOOhhhh Yeah! I've never been so overwhelmed by the spirit of those amazing talks. I just wrote and wrote and wrote. 24 pages of notes!! Things I can apply to myself now as a missionary, as a son, as a future husband and father. I loved every second of it. We had a satellite at the East Canje chapel which then fed into a tv and a projector. Haha, I got to use my electronic education and helped set up over the phone the ones in Linden and Georgetown as well. It was pretty fun. I really did love every second of it.

As for me.... with this week and this conference: I'm experiencing a change of heart as they say. I feel better, stronger in my relationship with the Lord. My prayers are more fervent. The spirit has been giving me continued revelation. I'm studying better, working smarter. I've never been better and I hope to continue to rise up like it said in the song in Priesthood Session, "Rise up o men of God". I am doing just that. Rising up, magnifying my calling. I'm learning more, working more, and relying on God more.

Mom and Dad. Do not regret anything you didn't do with me growing up and be grateful for the things we did do! This is not pride, just gratitude for everything you have done for me. I've never felt better and I can't imagine being anywhere else in my life right now. How grateful and blessed I am for having parents like you for being patient with me, for always pushing me in the right direction. Yes I made bad choices. That is what the atonement is for. I am different Mom and Dad. I really am. I regret the things I didn't do before the mission. I regret not spending more time with you guys. But regrets are for the past. And all I can do is just express gratitude for you. KNOW HOW MUCH I DO LOVE YOU. While I'm out here never doubt my love for you. Words can't express my gratitude for the things you did for me. I hope one day I can repay you.

A mission is an amazing thing. Something I would never trade. I am blessed to be serving my God in this country. While crazy as it is, I wouldn't trade it for anything! I have to go but this weekend was such a spiritually uplifting one. I love this work and I love Heavenly Father and the Savior for what they do for me. I'm reading Jesus the Christ right now and it's an amazing book. I love learning about the Savior.

Elder Morris

PS: my new address is

26-14 Harkman's Lane
New Amsterdam, Berbice

1 comments:

Amy said...

Hey Megs!
Don't forget to update nate's address!
Love you
Amy

Post a Comment